A lovely little breakfast that we cooked up with Whitney Port for valentines day (or any day for that matter!) A delicious chia seed parfait, banana bread french toast hearts, and an italian scramble. Scroll down for the recipes and enjoy! Styling by JL designs and photos by Marble Rye.
Fruity Chia Seed Granola Parfait (serves 2)
1 cup of greek yogurt mixed with chocolate covered chia seeds
1 cup of greek yogurt mixed with fresh raspberries (kind of smashed to achieve pink color)
1pt. of blueberries
1 pt of strawberries (sliced)
1 cup of oats
½ cup granola
- First layer blueberries
- Second layer chia seeds with yogurt
- Third layer oats
- Fourth layer stawberries (very thin layer of sliced strawberries)
- Fill almost to the rim with the raspberry yogurt
- Top loosely with granola, blueberries, and raspberries
Banana Bread French Toast Hearts (serves 2)
1 loaf banana bread (purchase from your favorite café or use your favorite recipe)
½ cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp of butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup of maple syrup
1/3 cup bourbon
1 cup walnuts
Loaf of banana bread cut horizontally into 4 pieces (so they are large enough to cut a heart out of)
- Cut out heart shapes using cookie cutter
- Beat two eggs and 1/3 cup milk
- Dip banana bread into egg/milk mixture
- Cook in a pan with 2 tbsp of butter
- Flip once the bottom side is golden brown
Maple Bourbon Syrup
- Heat 1 cup of maple syrup and 1/3 cup of good quality bourbon together in a sauce pan. Careful! Bourbon may light up!
- Combine for about 2 minutes, turn off flame and get ready to top French toast.
- Roast 2 cups of walnuts in the oven on a baking sheet for 5 minutes at 350 degrees
Assembly: put the French toast on the plate top with chocolate chips, sliced banana, walnuts and bourbon syrup!
Italian Scramble (serves 2)
1 pt. cherry tomato
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup arugula
1 chicken Italian sausage
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup pecorino, shaved plus a little for garnish
Salt + pepper to taste
- Take 1 pt. of cherry tomatoes. Wash and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and begin to burst. (this can be done the day before)
- Take 1 chicken Italian sausage out of the casing and crumble into pan. Cook over medium heat.
- Crack 4 eggs and whip.
- In a small non – stick skillet, melt butter and add the eggs then the sausage, arugula (1/3 cup), and cherry tomatoes. Scramble eggs for about 30 seconds, then add 1/3 cup of shaved pecorino.
- Once eggs are cooked, remove from heat. Plate the eggs. Top them off with shaved pecorino and some sprigs of arugula.